Post-Op Care

Things are going well for the most part. Yesterday we drove back down to my Surgeon’s for my 1st post-op appointment. I got to see my chest for the first time. It was a bit gnarly but the surgeon and head nurse were super enthusiastic about it and one of my friends said it will look damn near perfect in a few months. I don’t know about that. I know that it takes a year or so for the chest to settle down. Most guys I’ve seen on youtube, well, their chests look better as the years go by. As funny as it sounds I’m really interested in seeing what it looks like 2 years from today.

My Aunt isn’t feeling well today so I’ve been on my own. I wasn’t feeling well this morning. My stomach was hurting, I needed to take a pain pill but I felt like I was going to throw up but I needed to have something in my system to take the pain med. Ugh! I rang the bell that my Aunt gave me and rang it on and off for 5 minutes. She came and asked me what I needed and she ended up bringing me apple sauce and filling up my cup of water. I asked her to open up my med bottle for me because I struggled with it the night before. Then she said she was going back to bed. That was 4 hours ago 😦 She must really need the rest. I hope she feels better when she wakes up.

I got super hungry about an hour ago and got in a terrible mood because I was hungry and didn’t think I could do anything about it. I am a creature of habit. I usually have tea or hot water with lemon and a pinch of cinnamon in the morning. I can’t reach the mugs for tea. I can’t reach the bowls or the microwave so I can make instant oatmeal, I didn’t want any more apple sauce or crackers. But I figured something out. I very carefully got a small pot out of the lower cupboard, placed it on the stove and filled it with water from a red solo cup. The oatmeal is on the bottom shelf in another cupboard so I had to squat carefully to get it causing a small amount of discomfort. The result is that the oatmeal is cooking! In the same cupboard that the oatmeal on the shelf nearest my mid section there are a can of prunes. Now normally I would ignore them but for the past day and a half I’ve been drinking prune juice and eating a few prunes so I can stop being stopped up. So right now they are necessary and my brain has been tricked into thinking, “oh good, relief” when I see them. ha ha

The pain has significantly decreased. I’m down to taking one pain pill every 4.5 hours. I am going to try to stretch it out tomorrow to 6 hours and hopefully won’t feel a need for them by Sunday. I have 5 more days of antibiotics.

I’ve been feeling all sorts of things. Early this morning, like around 2am I went to the bathroom and looked in the mirror and I can now appreciate how flat my chest is. I also had this feeling of relief and freedom and space in my body, in my head. I am post-op. It’s a trippy thing to be able to say and really at this point indescribable in terms of how I actually feel.

Anyways, today besides the adventure of getting food in me and getting what comes in out of me, I’ll be going for another walk with my Uncle and watching some TV. I may watch some Parks and Recreation or The Office. I want to keep it light.

Hope everyone is having a Happy Friday or Happy whatever day of the week you are reading this!



Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.